Wednesday, April 19, 2006

With New Privileges Come New Responsibilities

Trying to teach a 23-month-old that sleeping in a "big girl" bed means that she must also be a "big girl" by staying in that bed can be a challenge, especially when that child is strong-willed. Seeing Eliana trying to push the limits of what she can "get away with", telling me, "No!" and disobeying over and over and over again in just a short timeframe of 5 minutes can be very disheartening and discouraging. As hard as it is though, I believe that God can and is using this in her life to grow her up in obedience to Him.

As a parent, I'm often led to wonder how my attitude looks to God. As I watch Eliana fussing over the smallest, most insignificant thing I think about how much I must resemble the same attitude in God's eyes when I'm not getting my way. When I refuse something for her benefit, to protect her or to hold out for something she will enjoy even more, I wonder how often I, too, fail to see the blessings God has in store for me by refusing that which I want or think I need. When I question, "Why does she make this so hard on herself?" and think, "I wish she could just understand better and see the big picture!" I can't help but think what God must say to Himself when I am acting the same way.

1 comment:

Summer said...

Wise words.