Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Free doula, anyone?

I have not received a single reply from my ad in the base newspaper offering a free doula service. Granted, this publication is received by a limited number of people, and I stated I would only accept clients due in the next two months, but I had still hoped to receive at least one or two inquiries.

A doula, for those of you who may not be familiar with the term, is a labor assistant. Studies show that having the support of a doula at your birth greatly decreases the amount of interventions and invasive procedures often used during labor and delivery in America's hospitals. It has been my desire to minister to women and their families in this way for a little over two years now. I have not pursued it until now, however, because of my obligations at home (mostly in my commitment to breastfeed Eliana). I feel like I'm finally at a point where I could now do this to some small degree, and yet, it won't be long until my obligations at home, though welcome they be, keep me from entering this ministry yet again.

I keep considering other avenues I could pursue to find an interested client due in the next month or two, but part of me says I should just give up, as I'm in the third trimester myself and things will only become more difficult. But then I struggle against my strong, heart-felt desire to help empower expectant parents with knowledge and confidence, be their advocate, and support them during labor. It saddens me that I have not yet found anyone interested in having this kind of help and support.

May God use me how and when He sees fit.

No comments: