Thursday, November 01, 2007

Driving Lessons

We have a new driver in our family--a backseat driver. While Eliana has long desired the freedom to actually drive our vehicles, she now seems to believe that she is ready to take the written driving test.

She figured out that red lights mean "stop" and green lights mean "go" all by herself. Approaching a yellow light one time, I began to slow down and stop. Eliana then announced that yellow means "stop" too. Far be it for me to ever run a yellow light again.

I am scolded every time for legally turning right on red. I am told to "go" as soon as a light turns green, even if there are cars still sitting in front of me. Eliana is currently learning about turn arrows, but I still frequently get a, "Go, Mom!" when a light is green (without an arrow) and there are three lanes of congested traffic to cross. I try to use such instances as opportunities to show that we still have to give others a turn and that it is more important to be safe and courteous than to exercise every right.

Wherever we drive now, she is constantly on the lookout for opportunities to make us better drivers. In reality, she is learning a lot about traffic rules, and I have found that to be a great platform for teaching her other important lessons. It also serves to keep me on my toes, such as the times when I am asked, "Mommy, are you going fast?"

"That's relative," I tell her.


2 comments:

Megan said...

That post cracked me up!!! Too funny!!!

Anonymous said...

I love those pictures!! Another example that they are related- Lucas and Kayla do the EXACT same thing.