Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Childhood Imponderables: Astronomy


Astronomy fascinates me. I even used to dream of becoming an astronaut one day. My girls have started showing some interest lately in the celestial bodies, probably because we've had a few too many late nights recently.

It started last week as we were coming out of Target. When we had entered the store, there was still daylight. When we left, it was night. Eliana and Evangeline had a great time marveling together that they were in space!

Eliana and I have been having a lot of conversations lately about different time zones around the world, and I've been attempting to explain to her that it is not the sun which moves around us, but it is we that keep spinning around while we circle the sun. I can't quite seem to fully convince her that I'm not kidding, but the wheels are definitely turning.

On the way home from church tonight Eliana, who was evidently star-gazing in the back seat, asked me, "Do you know why the stars don't fall to the ground?" I just thought that was so precious.

A short while later, as I was getting Evangeline into her pajamas at home, I was asked, "Is the sun asleep? Is it tired? Is it with its mommy and daddy sun?" Precious!

And then there's Anastasia. As we got out the car tonight I tried to turn her attention upwards. This was actually more difficult than it sounds because she was busy pointing to all of the neighborhood lights. When she did finally notice the glitter-plastered night sky, however, she was happy to point out all of those wonders to me, too. Precious!

Every time I think on the greatness and majesty of the universe I cannot help but be awestruck over and over again at God's greatness and majesty! After all, if this is the creation, who can even begin to imagine the full glory of the Creator! What a precious hope we have in Jesus Christ, that one day we, God's children, will meet this Creator face to face and be welcomed as sons and daughters and heirs with Christ!


The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours out speech,
and night to night reveals knowledge.
There is no speech, nor are there words,
whose voice is not heard.
Their voice goes out through all the earth,
and their words to the end of the world.
Psalm 19:1-4

1 comment:

boqpod said...

Something tells me you all are C.S. Lewis fans...if not you will be :)

I didn't know until I read "The Discarded Image" & some of his letters how much he enjoyed astronomy. I had missed the significance of the references in the Narniad.

Check it out!