Friday, December 07, 2007

Eliana's First Ballet

Eliana and I attended a performance of The Nutcracker ballet last weekend. It was Eliana's first time attending any such kind of performance. I was rather nervous as to how she would behave and if she would even enjoy it, especially since she scares easily. I was fearful that the Rat King's entrance in the first act would mark the end for us, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Leading up to the performance Eliana was very excited, and I did my best to prepare her. She watched the beginning of the ballet with wonder and excitment. I said another prayer when the Rat King entered, but Eliana just watched with amazement. We whispered a little back and forth about the events taking place on stage, and I could tell that she was really caught up with it.

During intermission, she insisted several times that we return to our seats, so as not to miss a second of the ballet. When the second act began, Eliana started to look for the Nutcracker and the Rat King. Though the Nutcracker was sitting, I explained to her that the Rat King was gone and would not return, but this was obviously a great disappointment to her! She would say, "Well...he will come out in a minute." This happened many times throughout the second act. Thankfully, she seemed to enjoy many of the other dances, even though they failed to include a giant, terrorizing rat being put in his place.

I am so ecstatic to have been able to successfully share this with my young daughter. A week later, the Rat King still seems to have had the biggest lasting impact. I'm just so glad it was a positive one! Events like this remind me of similar outings with my mother. I love getting to pass this on and make new special memories with my daughter.

No comments: